{getMailchimp} $title={MailChimp Form} $text={Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates.}

GES sacks Teacher, 48, after going blind

The Ghana Education Service (GES) has sacked a 48-year-old teacher who went blind during his teaching career.

Lawrence Ozame, who had tutored for over 20 years was sacked after he lost his sight and was left with no money to fend for himself and his four children.

Mr. Ozame has now been forced into early retirement and struggling to keep his head above water.

Alice Aryeetey who works with EIB Network’s GHone TV narrated that Mr. Ozame became visually impaired in 2013.

Aryeetey adds that his salary was blocked by the GES in April 2016 after he was asked to step aside.

Speaking to Aryeetey, Mr. Ozame said he is in a very difficult position and could even commit suicide at any point.

“I can do anything to myself at any moment...because as a father I think about my children at home, the older one is in JHS and sitting for her examination, how do I register her, look at the constraints I am going through now, I am handicapped.”

Mr. Ozame added that despite his blindness, he can still perform his functions as a professional teacher and is ready to go back to the classroom to perform his duties.

“I am blind now, I cannot see but it doesn’t mean that I cannot perform as a teacher, I am undergoing rehabilitation at the moment...I am a professional man and I am ready to go back to the classroom to continue.” 

Source: Starrfmonline.com

No comments

Your comments and Encouragement are welcome