{getMailchimp} $title={MailChimp Form} $text={Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates.}

Woman searching for boy who left $5, heartbreaking apology note

Christina Reitz is searching for Jake. But the woman, who lives in this Seattle suburb of about 60,000 people southwest of Tacoma, Wash., doesn't know him. He left a note on her door Friday saying that he and his sister had stolen one of her wind chimes, she said.

Almost a week later, after an initial Facebook post as Chrissy Marie to her neighborhood group and attention from media as far away as Great Britain, Reitz still has not heard from the boy. She has five wind chimes, well, four now, because she said she likes the sounds they make.

In the note, Jake explained that the stolen chime, which has butterflies on it, reminded his sister of their mother who died. A $5 bill was tucked inside the folded piece of notebook paper.

“I’m sorry. This is the only money I have. Please do not be mad,” he wrote.

According to USA TODAY, Reitz wants to find Jake to return his money. She also wants to offer Jake his own wind chime similar to the one he and his sister took, so they each can have a reminder of their mom.

"It's not right that he stole or his sister stole," Reitz said. "I'm not sure which one it is, but he did try to make things right and I do forgive him.

"I'm not going to hold a grudge for a wind chime that was less than $5," she said. "I don't even know the age of the kid, but I don't want him to be scared to come forward."

Reitz said she can relate to what Jake and his sister are going through.

“I lost my mom when I was 5 and my dad just almost six years ago. It’s just hard at any age," she said. "People grieve in different ways."

No comments

Your comments and Encouragement are welcome