{getMailchimp} $title={MailChimp Form} $text={Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates.}

South Africa actor: 'I was told I wasn't black enough'

South African soap star Cedric Fourie says casting directors have told him that he doesn't "look black enough" to play certain roles.

The Soweto-born actor told the Times Live news site.
I got to a point where I almost felt like I was wasting my time when auditioning for a black male role. How could I be told that I wasn’t black enough just because I am few shades lighter than what Europeans have tagged as black?"
Fourie, who plays a "shrewd and manipulative" businessman in SABC drama Skeem Saam, says being able to play a breadth of roles is important to him:

I want to sell myself as [a] multi-dimensional actor. One who is able to play anything from a drag queen to businessman.”

A post shared by Cedric Anthony Fourie (@cedric_a_fourie) on

No comments

Your comments and Encouragement are welcome