{getMailchimp} $title={MailChimp Form} $text={Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates.}

Samira Bawumia says she wants to be judged by her work, not her choice of clothes

Wife of Ghana's Vice President Samira Bawumia, has said social media critics should be more concerned about how she is using her position to impact the lives of others rather than her choice of clothes.

Mrs Bawumia since the inauguration of President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo on January 7, 2016, has been an attraction at many public events with her fashion.

She has been criticised by some people who feel her choice of clothing do not reflect her religious leanings as a Muslim and her position as wife of the Vice President.

But in an interview on Accra-based Citi FM Wednesday, Mrs Bawumia noted that instead of paying attention to her wardrobe; she wished that people would rather focus on her work.
“I wish it wouldn’t be the preoccupation…because I’m doing a lot of work that I will rather highlight. I mean if a woman is dressing well there shouldn’t be anything wrong with that. I think we should own our beauty and also make a difference,” she said.

She also noted that her choice of wardrobe is also promoting the business for those who make them and that is something that excites her.
“Sometimes I wear clothes and those who made it for me, their business booms and I’m happy for them because I’m also promoting their industry.”
Nonetheless, she says, such comments only become a bother when they tend to spite her.
“I worry slightly about how sometimes the discourse goes because this politics turns to be sometimes a little vicious. I don’t mind for my own personal saying because if someone I don’t know has an opinion about me [that’s] tough; but I worry about the people I know and how they feel about my interaction with them and for the most time I get a positive response,” she said.

No comments

Your comments and Encouragement are welcome