{getMailchimp} $title={MailChimp Form} $text={Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates.}

Cyntoia Brown Lands Book Deal Upon Release From Prison

Cyntoia Brown has officially been released from prison, and her first job out includes a major book deal.

It’s been a long journey for the now-31-year-old woman who was sentenced to 51-years-to-life in prison when she was just 16. Brown was convicted and imprisoned for killing a 43-year-old man who solicited her sex. But today, Brown was released after serving 15 years of her sentence. Brown was granted clemency in January by Bill Haslam, who was the then-governor, of Tennessee and was officially released early Wednesday, according to a press release sent at 3:30 a.m. local time.

“While first giving honor to God who made all of this possible, I would also like to thank my many supporters who have spoken on my behalf and prayed for me,” Brown said in a statement that was issued just before her release. “I’m blessed to have a very supportive family and friends to support me in the days to come. I look forward to using my experiences to help other women and girls suffering abuse and exploitation.”

Brown’s attorney praised her on her “commitment to justice,” and she celebrated their victory. “When her story is told in much greater detail, the words which describe her success include redemption, rehabilitation, salvation, mercy, and freedom,” Bone said in a statement Monday.

Thanks to her legal team, social media outcry and the support of several celebrities, her case resurfaced back in 2017 and ended with clemency back in January.

Brown was also the focal point of the 2011 documentary called “Me Facing Life: Cyntoia’s Story.”

While in prison, Brown wrote a book, called “free Cyntoia,” which is set to be published by Atria Books on Oct. 15. According to ABC News, Brown’s release will come with her having to comply with an approved release plan, with which she must maintain employment of education enrollment, participate in counseling sessions and maintain “a regular commitment” to community service, the district attorney said.

Brown says her book will help female victims of abuse victims of “abuse and exploitation.” “While first giving honor to God who made all of this possible, I would also like to thank my many supporters who have spoken on my behalf and prayed for me,” the statement begins. “I’m blessed to have a very supportive family and friends to support me in the days to come. I look forward to using my experiences to help other women and girls suffering abuse and exploitation.”


No comments

Your comments and Encouragement are welcome