{getMailchimp} $title={MailChimp Form} $text={Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates.}

Naomi Osaka gives up US citizenship to play for Japan in 2020 Olympics

2018 U.S. Open champion and the world’s third-ranked tennis player, Naomi Osaka has given up her U.S. citizenship to represent Japan in the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

According to FOX News, the 21-year-old, who was born in Japan to a Haitian father and Japanese mother but raised in the United States, has started the process to relinquish her U.S. citizenship so she can play for Japan in the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

She told Japanese public broadcaster NHK that she has chosen to pursue Japanese citizenship, calling it a "special desire."

"It's definitely going to be very special," Osaka said. "I think there's no other place that I'd rather play my first Olympics. I think that will be one of the most memorable things that ever happens to me."

Also speaking ahead of the 2020 Olympic, she said: "I'm kind of looking forward to everything like the opening ceremony," she told the Olympic Channel. "It's also a very big honor to even be participating."


No comments

Your comments and Encouragement are welcome