{getMailchimp} $title={MailChimp Form} $text={Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates.}

Gabrielle Union opens up on How Being Honest Changed her Life for Redbook Magazine

Actress Gabrielle Union in the March 2018 issue of Redbook Magazine, sheds light on her fight to become the strong woman fans know her as today. 

Speaking to magazine, the actress shares a few tips which she feels will lead women to a real, lasting confidence breakthrough.

Read excerpts below:

  • Create a Happy Playlist:
She says: I started working with a life coach who asked me to list things that make me happy, and one of my top three was imi­tation crab! You’re not on the right track if you say imitation crab. So the life coach started to ask questions: ‘What don’t you like? What annoys you? Have you ever experienced euphoria?’ Exam­ine those moments and you’ll start to figure out who you really are.
  • Right your old wrongs:
Part of my homework for becoming my best self is owning up to my b.s. I have to acknowledge how I’ve hurt people and make amends. I started with those closest to me, but there’s a line of people to get to. I was at a Janet Jackson concert and ran into an execu­tive I used to work with and just had to say, ‘I’m so sorry.’ I included in the apology specifics, so they knew I under­stood why I was wrong…. Then I lis­tened about the thing that I did, which I didn’t even realize I was doing. I’m not saying this is easy, but it’s led to my being incorporated back into some peo­ple’s lives. Not everyone will make up with you, but that has to be OK.

  • Shut down Negativity:
When someone starts gossiping, I’ll be like, ‘I can’t.’ It stops people cold. They’ll ask, ‘What? What can’t you do?’ Then I’m like, ‘Listen to this. Yeah, I can’t. It’s sooo negative. Can we go back to your kid shitting? Because that was funny.’ You have to do it with a wink and a nod, but it shuts people down. I used to just do it if the conversation was centered on a loved one—you’re not talking s­­hit about my friends or my family members in front of me. But now it’s in general, because when you let that into your space, whether or not you’re going to spread it or agree with it, your silence makes you complicit in negative energy, and that comes back.


Visit Redbookmag.com to read the full interview


No comments

Your comments and Encouragement are welcome