{getMailchimp} $title={MailChimp Form} $text={Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates.}

A 10-year-old Nigerian tech genius has been appointed to teach in UK school

Emmanuella Mayaki, a 10-year-old Nigerian girl, has already earned a living working as a teacher at an after-school club in England.

Unlike the usual routine of searching and applying for a job, Mayaki was offered a teaching job at Southfields Primary School, Coventry, England. The young tech genius got appointed to teach after she was discovered to be computer proficient.

Mayaki was born on January 7, 2009. Her drive into the world of ICT commenced when she was just 7 years old. Two years on, she obtained a diploma in Desktop Publishing, Advanced Excel, Adobe Page Maker, Advanced Power Point and CorelDraw in 2016.

In 2018, she enrolled to study Web Development and Graphic Design at NIIT and also enrolled for Mobile App Development at Tech24. She later developed her personal mobile app and designed and hosted her own website, known as Emma’s ICT Academy.

She is knowledgeable in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, JQuery, WordPress, PHP, MySQL, Graphic Design, Java and Python.

At Southfields Primary School, Coventry, England, Mayaki will be teaching other kids her age at a code club. One of the instructors at the school, Martin Benbeidge, said Mayaki is not only the school’s star, but has superior skill and passion for sharing knowledge, Vanguard reported. 

Emmanuella Mayaki in the company of other kids
Pic Credit: emmasacademy.com
At the tender age of 10, she still hopes to learn more programming languages like Prolong and Lisp as soon as possible.

Describing what she does, she said: “I want to become a machine learning engineer because I have experience in programming and my job is to programme a machine to perform specific tasks.”

“My knowledge of modern software such as Eclipse, which I use to programme Java applications, is also part of the reason I want to be a machine learning engineer.”

The child prodigy said she agreed to teach children because she believes that technology is the future. “In the code club, I am teaching HTML and CSS, also graphics because if you build a website you need some graphics to add on to the page.” “In the club, there are currently about nine pupils. Hopefully, the club will increase its members in September,” she added. 

"Today, my Academy App among others is already on Google play store where I pass on knowledge of coding and graphics. I remember at age seven, I set a target to become a professional web designer and analyst at age nine, and I have accomplished it,” she said.

Mayaki told Vanguard that she wants the Nigerian government to put up infrastructure that would enable kids in the country to learn some computer skills and be able to code as well.

“In the first week, I was pretty nervous because I had never taught a group of children. Although, my experience was sublime because I gained experience and I also enriched my skills. My observations were that not everyone grasps how to do it on their first try and there are some that they rush through it in a breeze,” she told Vanguard.



Credit: Face2faceafrica


No comments

Your comments and Encouragement are welcome