{getMailchimp} $title={MailChimp Form} $text={Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates.}

Meet Ama Aboagye DaCosta, The Youngest Lawyer in Ghana at 22 years

A total of 278 students of the Ghana School of Law were called to the Bar on Friday, October 1, 2021.

One of the new lawyers, Ama Aboagye DaCosta, inked her name in the record books of the Ghana Legal System as the youngest person to be called to the Bar, at age 22.

On top of that, she won the Best Student in Civil Procedure Award.

Reacting to this achievement, Ama said: “One of my first few memories of school was back in kindergarten or so. We were asked what we wanted to be when we grew up. I had said I wanted to be a lawyer. I couldn’t have been more than 4 years old and I’m positive I had no idea what lawyers did at that point.”

“About eighteen years later, I’ve fulfilled that dream. It really was not an easy journey and the COVID-19 pandemic breaking out in the middle of the first year in law school presented additional challenges. Thankfully, all the sleepless nights paid off. On the morning of my call to the Bar, my joy doubled when I found out that I would receive an award for being the best student in Civil Procedure.”

“I’m grateful to God for everything, and to my family and friends for being an amazing support system. I’m looking forward to an exciting career in the legal profession,” she added.

Ama Aboagye DaCosta was born on April 17, 1999, in Abuja where her father, Gilbert Aboagye Da Costa lived at the time as a correspondent for CNN and Associated Press in Nigeria.

She returned to Ghana in 2010 and enrolled at the Grace Preparatory School, East Legon and later attended Aburi Girls, graduating as one of the best students.

Ama gained admission to the University of Ghana School of Law (UGSoL) shortly after she turned 16 years, and later to the Ghana School of Law in 2019.

Mr Gilbert Aboagye DaCosta, who is proud of her daughter’s accomplishment stated: “You have always broken records, Ama! You could have won even more if not for some regrettable challenges you faced at a point.”

“Entering the Law Faculty at University of Ghana at the sweet age of 16 and breezing into the Ghana School of Law four years later, defying all the odds and leaving a mark of excellence!”

“My little girl is a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Ghana. I know your French-speaking skills and exceptional strength in mathematics should serve you well as a practitioner of the law. God bless you, my daughter! I pray for a beautiful future for you!”

Ama Aboagye DaCosta is currently a Pupil at N. Dowuona & Company. She previously worked as a legal intern at Minkah-Premo & Co and the High Court of Ghana.

 


No comments

Your comments and Encouragement are welcome